Today we bring you a list of 137 commands for Alexa, a guide with which you will know what kind of questions you can ask your smart speaker in the event that you have just been given one and want to try to get the most out of it. They are all kinds of commands, from the most basic and essential to others a little more advanced, including other ways of asking the same thing and the occasional Easter egg.
We are going to divide all the content into different sections. We will have one to ask current questions, and others to schedule alerts and reminders, manage lists, make purchases, local searches or play music and sounds. Then we will finish with a section for general information questions and another in which we will put the rest of the commands.
News, time and weather information
We will start with a series of commands with which you will be able to stay informed . With them you will be able to ask your Amazon Echo for the day’s news, both general and sports, as well as weather or time information.
- Alexa, good morning: Gives you good morning, and then shows you all the information of your day that you have configured in the routine.
- Alexa, what is the news of the day? : Launch the news summary, taking the means you have configured in the application.
- Alexa, what are you putting on TV tonight? : You can ask him about the programming of the television channels.
- Alexa, how has Madrid been? : It will tell you the last results of the team that you tell it, as well as the next matches that you have.
- Alexa, what is the league ranking? : It tells you the classification of La Liga, or some other sports competitions
- Alexa, what is my sports information: It tells you the results of the teams you set as favorites.
- Alexa, put Cadena SER: It tells you the news of the Cadena SER Skill, or any other that you add later.
- Alexa, what’s the weather like? : It tells you the temperature and weather in your city, and the forecast for the rest of the day.
- Alexa, what’s the weather like in Madrid? : It tells you the temperature and the weather in the city that you tell it, and the forecast for the rest of the day.
- Alexa, is it going to rain this weekend? : You can ask him if it is going to rain or if it is going to be sunny, and he will tell you the answer related to your city.
- Alexa, is it going to rain this weekend in Barcelona? : You can ask him if it is going to rain or it is going to be sunny in a specific city, and he will tell you the answer.
- Alexa, how long is it going to be in France? : When you ask about the weather in a country, it will ask you to specify the city, and when you answer it will tell you.
- Alexa, what time is it? : It tells you the time.
- Alexa, what time is it in Saint Petersburg? : It tells you what time it is in the city that you tell it.
Schedule alarms, reminders and calendars
If your mind could use a little help to remember everything you should, Alexa has some alarm systems, reminders and calendars that can help you out. And these are precisely the commands that we are going to teach you in this next section. Yes, because you even have a way to postpone an alarm for five more minutes in the morning
- Alexa, set an alarm: You start the process of setting the alarm, and Alexa will ask you for the time.
- Alexa, set an alarm for 7 in the morning: It will set an alarm for the next day at the time you tell it. If it is an alarm in the morning, it will ask you if you also want to set it for the other days of the week.
- Alexa, wake me up at 8 in the morning with music: It will configure the alarm with music, if you are listening to something it will configure you with music by that artist, using the music service that you have configured by default.
- Alexa, wake me up at 8 in the morning with Queen music: It will set your alarm with the music of the artist you specify, using the music service that you have configured by default.
- Alexa, cancel all my alarms: Cancel all the alarms you have configured.
- Alexa, what alarms do I have? : It tells you the alarms you have configured.
- Alexa, postpone…: You can also postpone alarms to sleep those five more minutes that they feel so good.
- Alexa, set a reminder: Start setting a reminder. It will ask you first what the reminder is for, and then it will ask you when you want to remember it.
- Alexa, remind me to take out the trash at 9 pm: Set up a reminder telling you all the information. You can also do it without specifying the time or topic to remember, and Alexa will ask you.
- Alexa, tell me my reminders : It will tell you your next reminders.
- Alexa, delete reminder: It will delete the reminder you have or ask you which one you want to delete.
- Alexa, set a 5-minute timer: Alexa sets a timer, and it will notify you when the time you ask for passes.
- Alexa, set a 10-minute timer for pizza : In addition to creating them, you can also name the timers to distinguish them in case you use several.
- Alexa, add “dinner with friends” to my calendar: Add the term “dinner with friends” to the calendar, and ask you what day and what time.
- Alexa, add an event to my calendar: You start the complete process to add an event to the calendar, and it will ask you the name of the event, the day and the time.
- Alexa, add an event tomorrow to my calendar : Add an event the next day or the specific day you tell it, and all you have to do is tell it the time and the name of the event.
- Alexa, what do I have on my calendar? : It tells you the last four events you have on your calendar. At the end, he asks if you want me to tell you more.
- Alexa, what do I have on the calendar today? : It tells you the events you have today or the specific day that you tell them on the calendar.
Create and manage your lists
The shopping list, the to-do list, or even the list of ingredients you need to make that dish you love so much. Alexa allows you to create and manage your lists directly from the Amazon Echo without having to resort to the application, although all of them are synchronized with them to be able to consult them from the mobile.
- Alexa, add tomatoes to my shopping list: Add the term tomatoes or whatever you say to the shopping list, one of which comes preconfigured in Alexa.
- Alexa, add watering plants to my task list: Add the term watering plants or whatever you say to the task list, one of which is preconfigured in Alexa.
- Alexa, create a list: You start the process of creating a list, and you will be asked the name and what you want to add.
- Alexa, create a list with the name XXXX: Changing XXXX for any term, you will create a list with the name you want.
- Alexa, add things to the XXXX list: By changing XXXX to the name of one of your lists, you start the process of adding something to that list. Alexa will ask you what you want to add.
- Alexa, add [Element] to list XXXX: By changing XXXX to the name of one of your lists, you add the element that you have said to that specific list.
- Alexa, lists: The wizard will tell you what lists you have created.
- Alexa, what do I have on my shopping list? : It tells you the items saved in the shopping list, or that it is empty if you have nothing.
- Alexa, what do I have on my to-do list? : It tells you the items saved in the task list, or that it is empty if you have nothing.
- Alexa, which is in the XXXX list: Changing XXXX by the name of a list that you have created, the wizard will tell you what is inside it.
Shopping with Alexa
Alexa and Amazon Echo are products of Amazon, one of the largest online stores in the world. Therefore, it is logical that they include commands that help you make purchases from the speaker without even having to open your computer or mobile phone. Be careful, because when you buy from Alexa everything can happen very quickly and you can end up buying things inadvertently.
- Alexa, I want to buy: It will ask you what you are looking for, and it will tell you the results of the term that you tell it.
- Alexa, I need to buy water: It will tell you the first two results that appear on Amazon with the term that you have said.
- Alexa, I want to buy technology: Alexa can also find you product types.
- Alexa, buy Xiaomi A2: If you tell him a specific product, Alexa will look for it so you can buy it.
- Alexa, how is my basket? It tells you what products you have added to your shopping basket.
- Alexa, how is my purchase going? It will tell you when your Amazon orders arrive, both from your Echo and from the web.
In Alexa, you can configure your postal code to be able to carry out searches related to the places near where you live. For example, you can ask if there are certain establishments nearby or what is on the billboard of the cinemas in your city.
- Alexa, what restaurants are around here? : First search formula for premises. Based on the zip code you have configured, it tells you the most visited nearby restaurants.
- Alexa, look for a nearby pharmacy: Second formula for finding premises. Based on the zip code you have configured, it tells you the nearby pharmacies.
- Alexa, where is a post office nearby? Third local search formula. Based on the postal code you have configured, it tells you the nearby post offices. Try these formulas with other locations like cinemas, bars, and other types of establishments.
- Alexa, recommend me a Chinese restaurant: Based on the zip code you have configured, it tells you the best-rated establishments. You can choose various types of establishments.
- Alexa, what is the Prado Museum hours? It tells you the hours of the establishment for which you ask.
- Alexa, what movies do you put near me? : In addition to searching theaters, you can also use this command to find out the list of movies that are near you.
- Alexa, what science fiction movies are there in the cinema? You can also search for the billboard movies near you by selecting them according to their genre.
- Alexa, what movies do you see tomorrow in the cinema? : Requests may also be for the next few days.
Music and audio
Your Amazon Echo is still a speaker, smart or not, and that’s why it is normal that Alexa also has several commands with which to get the most out of this function. It offers you several controls with which to play music with different services, but also to listen to the radio, play ambient sounds or even read books to you.
- Alexa, put on Beatles music : It will start to randomly play group songs that you tell it on Amazon Music or Spotify, the service that you have configured by default.
- Alexa, put Beatles music on Amazon Music : It will start to randomly play songs of the group that you tell on Amazon Music or Spotify, the service that you specify.
- Alexa, put rock : If you have Amazon Music as a default service, it will put you a rock music station or the musical genre you ask for. If you have Spotify, it will search for a playlist with a similar name.
- Alexa, put on party music : If you have Amazon Music as a default service, it will put you on a party music station. If you have Spotify, it will search for a playlist with a similar name.
- Alexa, put Queen : You can ask for a specific artist, and he will offer you random songs.
- Alexa, put the disk DiscName : You can also ask for disk names, and it will look for them in the service you have preconfigured to play it.
- Alexa, play Queen’s ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ : You can ask her for specific songs to play.
- Alexa, put my Queen playlist : It puts you a playlist that you have with the name you call it, in this case Queen .
- Alexa, what song is this? : When you are listening to music, you can also ask him for the exact song you are listening to.
- Alexa, next : Go to the next song.
- Alexa, previous : Go to the previous song.
- Alexa, put Chain Dial : Put the radio station you ask for in the service you have configured to listen to the radio.
- Alexa, put ‘Endor’s Orbit’ : You can also ask her to put your favorite podcasts on.
- Alexa, give me the sound of a storm : If you need relaxing sounds like rain or storm, Alexa can also play them.
- Alexa, read the book ‘American Gods’ : If you have the book purchased for Kindle, Alexa will come to read it to you with her robotic voice making it an audiobook.
- Alexa, stops: Playback stops.
- Alexa, continue : Play resumes.
- Alexa, turn up the volume : Turn up the speaker volume.
- Alexa, turn down the volume : Turn down the speaker volume.
General information questions and calculations
Your Amazon Echo with Alexa can also double as an encyclopedia, dictionary, or calculator . Therefore, in this section we are going to tell you some of the commands that you can use to ask general information questions, ask them to translate words or phrases for you, and to find meanings for you. You can also do simple and compound mathematical calculations, as well as unit conversions.
- Alexa, who is Cervantes? : You can ask Alexa to inform you about famous people, dead or alive.
- Alexa, how old is Penélope Cruz? : You can ask him about the age of celebrities, and in the answer he will also tell you the date of birth.
- Alexa, when did Edgar Alan Poe die? : You can also ask him other specific information about known characters.
- Alexa, how old is Jordi Hurtado? : When it comes to asking about some famous people, you can also find some Easter eggs like Jordi Hurtado’s.
- Alexa, what does Everlasting mean? : Alexa can also act as your own dictionary, telling you the various meanings that the same word can have.
- Alexa, how do you say ‘Thank you very much’ in English : You can ask her to translate words for you into the language you want.
- Alexa, when did the man get to the moon? : You can ask him about the date in which historical events happened.
- Alexa, how far is the moon? : It can tell you distances related to astronomy.
- Alexa, how far is Galicia? : It also tells you the distance by car and the straight line of your location, which depends on the zip code you have configured.
- Alexa, how many inhabitants does Denmark have? : You can also ask her for various types of data on some countries, such as their population, information on the anthem or the flag.
- Alexa, play the Denmark anthem : You can ask her to play a hymn for you, and go to Amazon Music or Spotify to do it.
- Alexa, how high is Teide? : You can ask about the height of specific mountains.
- Alexa, how tall is the Ebro river? : You can ask him about the length of rivers.
- Alexa, what time does the sun rise? : Tells you the sunrise time in your area.
- Alexa, what time does the sun go down? : Tells you the sunset time in your area.
- Alexa, what is the square root of 99? : You can also ask him mathematical operations.
- Alexa, how much is three plus seven times two? : Mathematical questions can also be composed. But be careful because you don’t always understand how he wants. In the example, start by multiplying seven by two and then add three.
- Alexa, how many days are left for summer? : You can ask questions related to the calendar, such as how much is left for the summer, next Christmas or other specific dates or holidays.
- Alexa, how many dollars are 20 euros : The assistant of your Amazon Echo can do currency conversions.
- Alexa, how many miles is 10 kilometers : And you can also ask him to make conversions in other types of units, such as distance.
Talk to Alexa and take advantage of its features
And we finish with the last section, in which we are going to include the rest of the commands that have been left out of the previous sections. This means that in this case, you will have a huge variety, with commands ranging from requests for random content to others with games, jokes, or asking personal questions to your assistant.
- Alexa, what can you do? : It makes you a summary of things you can ask her.
- Alexa, surprise me: Perform random actions, such as playing small melodies.
- Alexa, hello: Obviously, you can say hello to your assistant.
- Alexa, why is your name Alexa? : It explains to you where the name that Amazon decided to give the assistant comes from.
- Alexa, how old is she? : It tells you how old it is, or what is the same, the years since the wizard was launched.
- Alexa, tell me something: It tells you a curiosity of general knowledge.
- Alexa, tell me something curious: Another command to get a curious anecdote on any topic of general knowledge.
- Alexa, how are you? : She responds to you with her state of mind, and then she tells you a random curiosity.
- Alexa, call XXXX: Substituting XXXX for the name of a contact on your mobile that also has an Amazon Echo.
- Alexa, send a message to XXXX: Substituting XXXX for the name of a contact on your mobile that also has an Amazon Echo.
- Alexa, heads or tails? : It says heads or tails randomly.
- Alexa, roll a dice: It tells you a number from one to six.
- Alexa, tell me a number from one to a hundred: It tells you a random number among the amounts you tell it.
- Alexa, rock, paper or scissors: It randomly tells you rock, paper or scissors.
- Alexa, tell me a story: Start telling a full story.
- Alexa, tell me the story of Little Red Riding Hood: She tells you a specific story that you ask her.
- Alexa, tell me a joke: Tells you a random joke.
- Alexa, tell me a Chuck Norris joke: You can also ask him for jokes on specific themes such as Cuck Norris, the curtain opens, Star Wars, Jaimito, and more.
- Alexa, tell me about soccer: Tells you a soccer anecdote.
- Alexa, tell me a riddle: Alexa tells you a riddle.
- Alexa, sing a song: Sing a random short song.
- Alexa, sing a lullaby: Sing a random lullaby.
- Alexa, what is your favorite color? : You can ask her for her favorite color.
- Alexa, what is your favorite singer? : She talks to you about singers, referring to details about some of her songs.
- Alexa, what is your favorite game: He also answers you in an ingenious way when you ask him about his game, actor, and other things.
- Alexa, where do you live? : It tells you that it is here, but its head in the cloud.
- Alexa, do you know how to rap? : You can ask Alexa to rap for you.
- Alexa, tell me a movie phrase: It tells you a quote from a random movie.
- Alexa, recommend me a Skill: He suggests you try some Skills.
- Alexa, open [SkillName]: Open and start using a Skill you have installed.
- Alexa, let’s play: It offers you game Skills.
- Alexa, I want to meditate: It offers you a meditation skill.
- Alexa, pretend you are a heroine: She describes a little adventure, either being a heroine or a super villain.
- Alexa, do me a magic trick: A funny magic trick.
- Alexa, meow: You can ask her to imitate animal sounds.
- Alexa, silver or lead: You can ask him questions related to movies.
- Alexa, my name is Inigo Montoya: If you tell her movie quotes she can complete them for you.
- Alexa, speak like Yoda: There are also some movie buffs hidden in the form of Easter eggs. She knows how to speak Klingon or like Yoda.
- Alexa, help me cook: Open a cooking skill and help you find a recipe.
- Alexa, open My horoscope: Your daily horoscope is also within reach of your speaker.
- Alexa, what do you want to talk about? : She has come to talk about her book.
- Alexa, what is a fistro? : There are also many other questions that are Easter eggs.